Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Feeling Myself

I must start by saying how grateful I am to my husband for making it possible for me to stay at home with our three beautiful boys for an entire year.  Staying at home enabled me to spend more time with our boys and it also allowed me to learn how to use a sewing machine, how to can various fruits and vegetables, how to crochet (probably my FAVORITE hobby now!), and I was fortunate to meet some amazing women and their children at Church of the Brethren Learning Center (where Josh goes to preschool).  This wouldn't have been possible if I hadn't had the opportunity to stay home.  I am truly blessed to have had a year full of all of these wonderful things.

With that being said......even with all of the wonderful experiences and all the extra time I had with my boys, I felt lost.  I didn't feel like myself.  I felt as though something in my life was missing.

Now that I'm back in school teaching, I know EXACTLY what was missing from my life.  I must have been meant to be a teacher- because I feel whole....I've found myself again.  :-)

The Arts and Communications Academy is the "big picture."  A part of the ACA is the Advanced Music Studies program (AMS) in which I am the vocal music teacher.  Students must complete a rigorous audition including two contrasting pieces of music and a face-to face interview.  When they are in the program, they are required to take Music Theory, Aural Skills, Piano, Music History, and Chamber Choir (or Chamber Ensemble).

This week, we have given students a Music Theory test to determine the level they should be placed in.  We also administered a piano survey to determine their proper piano class.  The remainder of the week has been spent on Copland's book, What to Listen for in Music.  I was asked to teach a lesson on harmony and tone color, so I brought in (my favorite): Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition,to assist me. 

Very soon, I hope to share with you a "tour" of our Music wing.  I just need to get the pictures first.  :-)  I also have to share that I told my AMS students about my favorite nicknames that my Damascus kids gave me--"Sassy Berry" and "Mama Bear."  On the way out on that first day, one of them said, "See ya tomorrow, Mama Bear."  It brought a smile to my face!!!!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment