Monday, June 25, 2012

To Sleep...or Not to Sleep...

Let me get this out of the way:  I HATE, HATE, HATE when new moms complain about the lack of sleep and the "fog" they've been living in.  I want to strangle them and say, "THAT'S WHAT YOU SIGNED UP FOR!  SHUT UP!!!"  Hearing their complaints REALLY makes my blood boil...especially now that I've spent the last 13 months of my life with little to no sleep.  Four hours of uninterrupted sleep would be AMAZING...so SHUT UP, new moms!

I'm jealous, angry, upset...you name it, that's me.  I rarely complain (or I try not to) because it's what I signed up for.  I'm the one that wanted to have three children.  My third child wakes anywhere froom 2-8 times at night.  This is what being a parent is, right?  I have to grin and bear it...and I do, for the most part.  I recently started letting the world know of Daniel's sleep problems when my friends with newborns would either complain about the lack of sleep or rejoice for their new baby only waking up once.  ONCE?!  Your baby is 8 weeks old and only woke up ONCE?!  Okay...I admit I am completely and utterly jealous.  SO...seeing this on facebook would put me into a rage and I would HAVE to comment to let them know how LUCKY they were that they got 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep since Danny was up at 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, 4:30, and up for good at 5:30.

I'm not sure what Danny's issue is.  I've ready every book under the sun.  I've taken advice from other moms.  I've tried EVERYTHING.  The only thing I can think of is he is having night terrors and there is really little to nothing I can do to help.  This is an issue I had as a child and my mother often reminds me that she did not sleep through the night until I was 8 years old.  All I have to say is, "thank you, mom....thank you for loving me even through the sleepless nights."  I do know that this will pass and one day, when he's a teenager, I'll miss our snuggle sessions on the glider.

So...for those of you without children, or with children that sleep, ENJOY it.  Sleep some for me.  Those of you with newborns....SHUSH.  You have NO clue.  Just be happy your child wakes up every 2 hours.  :-P
Sleep--it's what I want

No comments:

Post a Comment